Thursday, March 13, 2014

There's Something About Maggie

Yes, there is certainly something about Maggie.  Perhaps it's her pristine posture as she drinks her tea.  Or it
Anonymous Picture
could be her wise blue eyes and how they seem to capture everything; processing life as it unfolds around her.  Yes, there's definitely something about this 85 year old lady which calls for our attention; however, so many busy shoppers walked past her today focusing on their iPhones, concentrating on their groceries, or simply not wanting to "see" beyond their own lives.  What a shame.  

Maggie grew up in London.  She and her younger brother dodged the bombing blitz during WWII by being placed on a country bound train to stay with strangers (a very "distasteful family which was most unfortunate"). Later during the war, she met her husband, an American soldier, and traveled back to the States after they were married.  They made their home in Upstate New York and had a son.  Maggie lived in New York up until last year when her son felt it would be best to have her closer to him and his family in the Denver area.  She didn't understand what all the fuss was about, after all she'd been on her own all these years since her husband died ("God rest his soul") but she supposed it comforted her son to have her here "just in case".

Maggie still drives.  She's sharp as a tack.  She prefers the weather in New York but she's "not one to complain".  Her proper British accent is thick and one would never guess she's lived the last 60 years of her life in America.  She loves to chat and would never turn down an opportunity to tell someone about her life. And oh, what a life!

Today was the third time I stopped and chatted with Maggie.  I wasn't wearing a sweater, she gave me a hard time about it but I showed her how furry my arms are and told her I'm naturally insulated.  She apologized for not remembering my name (after all, she is 85) and I teased her about that.  I gave her a big hug and told her if she forgets my name the next time around, I'm going to squeeze tighter.  She giggled in her lovely, polite English way and said, "Oh my, don't do that my dear, I barely have enough stuffing in me as it is."

There IS most definitely something about Maggie.  There's a story to be a heard.  A lovely person to be met. An opportunity to step out of your busy day and find the time the make another human being happy.  Look for your Maggie, or Henry, or Sarah..they're out there.  I promise you it will enrich two lives, and then some. Pass it on.