Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Please Lord, I'm going to be selfish...


Dear God, Allah, "The Awakened One", Jehovah, Christ, 

A little over eighteen years ago I sat down and asked for some advice.  I needed words.  Normally I have plenty in stock because You have graced me with the ability to write what's in my heart.  For this, I am grateful.  On that particular morning my sister-in-law asked me to put into writing what was in her heart and I needed assistance.  Only You could have guided my fingers as I thanked an anonymous family for their gift which allowed my nephew, Lisa's newborn, to live. This unknown family lost a life; a son, a daughter, a brother, a sister - someone they loved - and yet they allowed this amazing human being to live on through the heartbeat of my three week old nephew - now a handsome eighteen year old teenager.

I don't normally like to ask for personal things and I certainly don't like posting prayers in public but this is a big one and it can use all the help it can get.  At the cost of having to write another one of those difficult letters, I'm going to be selfish.  I want to see Tommy make it another eighteen years, Lord.  I want Tommy to find a liver donor.  I want his mama to scream with joy after the transplant has been successful.  In five years or so, I want to sit at Tommy's wedding so my husband, his Godfather, can watch him with pride, shake his hand, and congratulate the man he's grown up to be.  

This morning I'm going to be selfish.  I'm asking for something personal, Lord.  In a couple of months or better yet days, please guide my fingers once more in an anonymous letter of thanks.  


**To learn about organ donation awareness, please visit: Organ Donation