Tuesday, July 23, 2013

When did this happen?

Austynn 15 and Bri
It seems like just a few days ago I was sitting in the dentists' office watching my adopted son, Austynn playing with the waiting room preschool toys.  Wait!  It was just a few days ago - in fact, it was last Friday.  So you see, dear friends and blog readers, you can imagine my shock when I saw this picture of the two of us last night.  When the Hell did he get so big?

Today my kiddo will be turning fifteen years old; however, in my mind he's still my sweet eight year old who'll ask neighbors for "side hugs" or at times a demonic, autistic adolescent calling me a "fucking whore bag".  Why does he call me that?  Because he's caught in the subversive act of not washing his hair.

I have to admit I'm surprised either of us have made it this far.  On June 11, 2006, his adoption was official.  It's been a wild, interesting roller coaster filled with tears, laughter, and yes - a lot of rage on both sides of the aisle. I know the ride isn't over by a long shot. In fact, we have some tricky maneuvering ahead. I'd love to say the worst is behind Eric and myself. Austynn no longer bites, kicks, or physically battles us.  Thank God for this.  I'm obviously a wee bit too small (comparatively) for that nonsense any more.  The language?  Just words.  My husband and I can't look ahead and see his future either.  College?  Living on his own?  A decent paying job?  No parents have a crystal ball yet there are so many variables that families with neurotypical kids take for granted which we must place on hold.  

I need to be more patient.  I literally broke my ankle trying to escape his non-stop chattering last year.  That was a lesson; Bri, don't run down the stairs with a tray of dishes even if Austy begins detailing his Lego creation for the fifth consecutive time.  I need to remember that he outweighs me by 40 pounds and snuggling on my lap is no longer a comfortable option.  Even though he's fifteen years old now and almost a foot taller, he still has the emotions of a child.  If he wants to hold my hand in a scary movie, a busy grocery store, or an amusement park ride - it's okay.

Today, July 23, 2013, I celebrate Austynn.  I must admit, I'm usually grumbling about him but honestly - my life would be boring without this quirky, lovable feller in it. 

Thank you my "peckish" dude for making every day an incredibly interesting adventure.  "I'll love you forever, I'll like you for always, As long as I'm living, my baby you'll be." Mom.

**The following song was played at Austynn's adoption party