Friday, March 8, 2013

So much to do..so little time.

When I have a To-Do list a mile long and yet I'm composing a blog in my mind, I know it's time to drop the toilet bowl brush and sit down at the laptop - after I wash my hands, of course.

Yesterday, as I charged through another incredibly busy day, I had the good fortune to learn how to make Pancit.  For those of you who aren't familiar with the dish, it's a fantastic Filipino meal which can consist of noodles, pork, and vegetables. My husband happens to love it but it has to be authentic.  I'm certain that you, my dear friends and blog readers, are all wondering how this happened.  As with everything in my life, it comes with a story.

I'm always busy.  I make myself so.  I live in a large house which requires a lot of upkeep.  I have two special needs boys who keep me hopping between therapy, psychiatrist, IEP, and family therapy appointments.  I teach weekly catechism classes with my husband.  I maintain a lot of friendships.  I write this blog AND my goal is to eventually get back on to the stage in one form or another.  Due to a recovery from a painful broken ankle and a court issue with my eldest son, I've been forced into a sabbatical from that dream for the time being.  So Pancit..seriously?  Yes. 

I've discovered recently to stop and breathe.  It's an amazing thing this breathing technique; in and out.  When it happens an interesting thing occurs; I look up.  Sure, sure - I may not cross everything off my list.  Hell, most days I'm lucky if I get around to making dinner; however, I do learn a few fantastic things along the way AND meet wonderful people - some of whom are still playing a magnificent role in my life today.

What would have happened if I didn't take a chance to meet my local neighbors seven years ago?  I would have missed out on people I now consider my family.  These same friends who, when my garage was torn apart by my raging adolescent, immediately came over with brooms, trash bags, and love.  No judgment.  They helped Eric and I through one of the most difficult times of our lives.

There was the unassuming father sitting next to me during our sons' social skills class.  We could never have imagined where our friendship would lead us.  The awkward boy in horned-rimmed glasses sitting beside me in fourth grade.  Some thirty years later we connected again on the computer.  He's now a handsome, semi-pro golfer working in Newport Beach, California who shares my political beliefs and humor.  What a small world.  Also, there are some friends of a friend whom I've never met yet we all share the common bond of bi-polar.  Our thread is laughter and yes, sometimes sadness.  Our goal is to meet this summer; to come together from across the country and spend some "face time" versus "FB time".

Would I have bonded with half the people I know and love today had I not stopped staring at my To-Do list and looked up?  Most likely not.  Yes, I'd have a cleaner house but who would I share it with?  I'm happy that I have an enormous circle of eclectic and fun people to invite into my chaotic world who honestly don't care if they see a dust bunny hopping along my hallway.

The man who taught me how to make Pancit yesterday was replacing a broken tile in my kitchen.  We talked and laughed for over an hour about cooking.  In the time spent with him I could have completed at least three things on my list.  Honestly, I wouldn't have traded those sixty minutes for all clean toilets in the world.