Saturday, November 17, 2012

I like Q-Tips too.

I'm still hung up on that little "Thankful" game going around on Facebook.  I wrote about it a couple of days ago and I found myself pondering a few more just this morning after I had just posted two fresh ones. 

One, I was extremely grateful that my dog, Tank was asleep after I had stepped out of the bathtub this morning.  You see, for some unknown reason, he finds the suds from my bubble bath extremely tasty.  No matter how well I manage to dry off my legs, he still manages to locate random bubbles to lick off my calves or thighs.  I must admit that this is not a pleasant experience.  Before Tank's visits, I always feel clean and relaxed; afterwards - violated and dirty.  There's no door between the my master bathroom and bedroom so please don't offer ridiculously obvious advice.

Secondly, I love Q-tips.  They are a gift from the Gods.  They can be used for such an amazing plethora of activities.  Sure, they reach those intense itches in one's ear that our doctors forbid us to scratch; however, they are an OCD's housewife's dream come true.  Corner dirt and dust bunnies have no chance against a bottle of wood spray and one of these cotton swabs.  I almost listen for desperate screaming, "Heeeeelp meeee!  Heeeeelp meeee!" as I attack the offenders with relish.  Dirt and wayward bird seed should know better by now with me.  Nothing escapes my eyes especially when my bi-polar manic cleaning side kicks into full gear.

An old friend called me Thursday afternoon.  It was nice to hear his voice again.  I should actually reiterate that it was Tinsley who called me.  Tony Tinsley is my former US Marine "boyfriend" from years ago.  He was my lover before I met and married my ex-husband.  It's so nice that we've remained friends after all these years.  He still has the ability to make me laugh and I him. 

It's been a goal of mine to hold on to the men in my life and maintain friendships with them.  My theory is that I've loved them for a reason, why let go of that love?  There's some whom I've lost track of.  The first, was my "first".  A very sweet man.  Another, I hurt tremendously and I don't blame him for never contacting me again.  One accused me of dating "trash".  My response was that I hadn't dated "trash" until I met him. The last was a friend who seems to have dropped off the planet.  I still think of him fondly.  I hope he's doing well.

I'm thankful I had the wisdom and grace to learn from my past relationships.  Why let these friendships go?  Granted, some of them ended painfully with misunderstandings on both sides; however, I've given my heart to them as they've given theirs to me.  We've cried, laughed, and shared our dreams with one another.  This is a sacred trust given to me and I don't take it lightly. 

Most of all, I'm thankful for my current relationship - my best friend, Eric.  How many husbands would allow their wives to continue friendships with past loves?  I can't imagine too many and yet he does.  He tells me his honest feelings, and yes - he's jealous but understands that these men are part of my life.  Letting go or saying "good-bye" would be like removing a limb.  Tinsley, Jeff, and the others, are a part of who I am today.  They've developed my sense of humor, my "kick-back" attitude, my zest for life.  Without one of them, I would be less than who I am.

Last night my friend Cindy, her brother-in-law, and I went out to a country western bar.  Eric hates country music so it wasn't a huge sacrifice on his end to stay at home - that is until he saw me ready to leave.  I looked good.  I've lost a lot of weight recently, my hair was done last weekend and is back to it's perky red, I was wearing a shirt which accentuated my curves, and I was wearing lipstick.  Eric's little green horns came out to play.  He was doing his best but I could tell he was unnerved.

I have a secret, Eric.  You have nothing to worry about.  I'm grateful for you.  This past year, in particular, you've given me reasons far more than any wife to stay by your side, remain faithful, honest, and passionately in love with you.  You own my heart and soul.  They are yours forever.