Wednesday, August 29, 2012

The definition of "Perseverate"

I've never made any secret that I ooze sarcasm.  For a mother of two boys with Aspergers Syndrome, this isn't necessarily a good thing.  Kids on the autistic spectrum need everything explained very clearly.  My children do not understand innuendos or hidden meanings.  When I tell them something, it must be black and white - direct and to the point.  This is excruciatingly difficult for me.

Bri:  Austynn, please pick up your shoes in the family room.

Austynn:  Who me?

Bri:  No, the spider hanging down from the ceiling!  Who else?!

First of all, I understand that this is a standard conversation between most parents and their children; however, in my household, it can perseverate for an additional twenty minutes...

Austynn:  Spiders don't wear shoes, mom.  In fact, if they did..

Bri:  AUSTYNN!  I know THAT!  I was just saying...

Austynn:  Well, then what kind of a spider was it?  I don't like spiders.  I was bitten by one yesterday five times until it left welts all over my arm.  See the marks?

Bri:  Austynn, there is no spider.  I wasn't serious.  I was being sarcastic.

Austynn:  Well, there is a spider on the ceiling, ya' know..