Saturday, July 7, 2012

Not a Colorado native but I love it here.

I have a massive, not-ready-for-popping, bright, shiny zit on my chin.  Totally random thought, I know;  however, it seems that this is all I can focus on at the moment.  My right hand keeps wandering to the awful bump to investigate whether or not since my last visit it's increased in diameter or juiciness.  This is ridiculous.  I'm too old for obnoxious pimples on my face.  It's time to apply the age old remedy of toothpaste to the offender.  Now if I can just keep the dogs away from me and remember to wash off the "remedy" before I go to the grocery store, I'll be fine.  Damn my vanity anyway!

I love Saturdays.  They're such slow, lazy days in our home.  When my husband and I lived in Southern California, they tended to be a terrible rush.  Both of us worked during the week and we attempted housecleaning, laundry, and entertainment in the short span of the weekends.  Now, here in Colorado, we have fewer obligations on our time.  Eric and I can choose to lounge about slowly in the mornings and allow our afternoons to merge quietly into the evening hours.  Even when we do have plans, we never feel hurried or breathless.  There's a tremendous difference in the way we move now.  It's hard to describe but it's almost as if our bodies sway with the wind, not against it.

A few years ago, my husband, children, and I came out to Los Angeles for a spur the moment visit.  We needed to see a friend who was undergoing a serious medical procedure around the holidays.  During our stay, we visited a major LA museum and while doing so, we were waiting in line to take a trolley up to the main gates.  While standing and chatting with other folks in line, someone made an observation that we weren't "obviously from Los Angeles".  I wanted to laugh out loud.  My husband and I are LA natives.  It just so happened that we'd lived in Denver for the last 5 years.  I had to ask why they thought we weren't.  Their answer was interesting.  They said it was because we were so relaxed, so calm, and so very extremely nice.  Wow. 

View of the Rockies from my backyard
It was if a light bulb went off in my head.  These people were absolutely right.  As I stood and watched the other folks waiting for the trolley, I could see palpable anger on their faces.  Impatience that they had to wait longer than a few moments in line.  They were getting hostile, rude in fact.  Then I looked at their clothes; upscale, expensive, name brand.  I stared at my boys and husband.  They were wearing the same clothes we wore for weekend outings back home; baggy shorts, comfy t-shirts, muddy shoes.  I smiled. 

At that moment, as I stood by my husband and kids, I was never more proud to say, "Yes, you're right.  We're not from here.  We used to be, but we live in Colorado now."

If I had a choice to do it all over again, I wouldn't hesitate.  Moving away from the hectic, busy world that is Southern California and into the slower life of Colorado was the best thing we could have ever done for our family.