Saturday, May 26, 2012

Revisiting "The House at Pooh Corner"

Oh the things we hold on to from our childhood...sorry my friends and blog readers, today's ramble is a jaunt down memory lane. 

As I was sipping my enormous bowl of candy bar in a cup - which, might I add, I was forced to make myself this fine Saturday morning (Hmm umm, Eric - the love of my life refused to be my slave and get up on his day off to bring me it in bed, the bastard.  We'll see who suffers later...*wink*) - I heard my son listening to a "Winnie-the-Pooh" cartoon in the background.

Austynn is 13 years old soon to be 14; however, behaviorally he's more like a kiddo of 9.  This startles me because in the fall he'll be a freshman in high school.  God bless him.  Anyway, I digress.

When I was a little girl, after the Peanuts characters, Winnie-the-Pooh was my second favorite cartoon series.  I had the records, watched the movies on the big screen, and knew the songs by heart.  In fact, just the other day I was holding a friend's baby and found myself singing the old familiar tune, "Little Black Rain Cloud".  It brought a smile to my face as I remembered dancing to the song with an open Christopher Robin umbrella on a rainy day.  I was in my pajamas, running a high temperature, and was home sick from school.  I may have felt awful but I played the big 33 vinyl disk over and over again on my orange Mattell record player until it lifted my spirits like Winnie's balloon.  Eventually exhaustion and sleep overtook me.


Tigger, Piglet, Owl, Rabbit, even Eeyore; they were my playmates as a child.  I hopped about with Tigger because of course, "Tigger was wonderful fun".  I lamented with Eeyore over everything.  I just wanted the poor fellow to be happy - just once.  And Piglet!  Everyone deserved a best friend like him. 

Thank you for wandering back in time with me today.  I was under my own little black rain cloud and the cartoon music lifted my spirits.  Sometimes visiting with old friends and remembering the good times are enough to make my candy bar in a cup taste just right again - even if I did have to make it myself.