Tuesday, May 29, 2012

"I'ma good girl, I am!"

"I'ma good girl, I am!" 

Eliza Doolitttle
Remember this line?  Eliza Doolittle screeched it out to Professor 'Enry 'Iggins several times during one of their first encounters in the movie, My Fair Lady.  Well, she was a good girl.  Bri Potts, not so much.

As a teenager I must admit, I was a wee bit naughty.  I didn't want to be.  In other words, I didn't lay awake nights planning wild orgies or ways to fire bomb my school.  No, nothing like that.  I left those sorts of things up to my older siblings.  I just wanted to have some fun, live a little - feel alive, be free.  What was wrong with that?  Nothing, but of course if my sixteen year old son were to consider doing any of the things I did as a teen, I would absolutely kill him.

My poor parents.  I've mentioned in some of my prior blogs that I was the fourth of five kiddos.  The youngest was always asleep in the back of the house when the rollicking madness went on.  In fact, I can't even remember Jimmy being an issue back then.  Good grief.  Was I even aware that I had a baby brother?  This is rather disconcerting to me now that I think about it.  Wasn't I supposed to be babysitting him??  Hmmm...I refuse to let my Catholic guilt take hold of me in this late stage of life. 

When I say "parties" I'm not implying an open house, hundreds of kids hanging drunk out of windows, and having miscellaneous sex in bedrooms.  No, not at all.  I was naughty, but not like that.  I had a small to mid-sized group of friends, male and female, who liked to drink (some smoked) and "hang out".  We were actually pretty good kids considering what we were doing at the time.

Needless to say, my mom and dad would not have approved.  God NO!  These "parties" usually happened when either they'd go out for an evening and/or I'd have a slumber party.  My parents owned a very large Ranch-style home in Southern California and the backyard was against a riverbed.  The moment the adults left or went to bed, the guys would come through the backyard, around the pool, and up to the family room where the girls were.  When my parents were gone for the evening, it didn't matter, the boys just needed to leave by a certain time or hide in the back room.

My parties were a huge success up until one fateful Drama Club fundraising event.  As it turned out, one of the guy's mothers went to the same high school with my mom.  Small world, right?  Who knew?  As they were chatting away, Craig's mom mentioned what a wonderful time he had at my parties.

My mother: "Maria, this is Craig's mom and she says he always has a great time at your parties."

Deep swallow.  Uh oh.  "Yeah, mom.  You know, everyone does.  They're very nice parties and my friends really, really behave themselves."

"Well then, I guess we'll have to talk about this later, won't we?"

Catholic School Uniforms
"Yep."

That was the end of some awesome parties at my house. I was grounded for weeks after that incident but the naughtiness just seemed to burn hotter as I got older.  It must have had something to do with 12 years of private school uniforms...I'm certain of it!