Sunday, May 13, 2012

All women should be celebrated today.

What does it mean to be a "mother"?  I've been throwing out a lot of definitions this week but this one - in particular - is wrong in all the dictionaries and online resources I've referenced so far.

I've been excluded from Mother's Day celebrations in the past.  I knew it was because I hadn't experienced the movement of a child within my womb or decided to become an adoptive parent yet.  So why had I felt so slighted?  What was my reasoning for this?  As I've matured over the years, this is what I've concluded...

I've seen all sorts of mothers; good, bad, adoptive, foster, special needs, step-parents, and children far too young to be raising babies of their own.  Yes, there are many types but aren't all women instinctively maternal?  Whether or not they choose to give birth or raise a child is purely coincidental in my opinion.

Motherhood should not be qualified as giving birth or raising a child into adulthood.  Not having been a "mother" on these terms for most of my life, I find today's holiday, Mother's Day, a little offsetting.

As this day rolls around every year, I too honor the amazing women in my life who've mentored and guided me.  I make it a point to thank everyone, because in essence, they all had a role in shaping my foundation; teachers, aunts, friends, and yes - even some of the infamous grade school Catholic nuns.

What I'm trying to say in my weird, convoluted, Breezy way is that I believe all woman are maternal to some extent or another; that we're the gentle, peaceful sex of this magical place called Earth. 

So, congratulations and happy Mother's Day to you if you're a 20-something woman on the cusp of beginning your new life.  It doesn't matter if you've decided to have a family or not because if you've been touched by the sound of a newborn kitten, seen the fear on a lost child's face, or been angered by the reality of war, then you've earned the right to take a flower and say, "You're welcome."  Yes, the world is a much better place because of you, dearest mother.