Tuesday, April 17, 2012

There are no third class carriages.

I've made mention that I've been pulled into the wild and woolly world of the professional Bingo circles of the area.  I'm truly freaked out by this.  I would never go on my own; however, I have a very dear friend who loves the game and seems to get me to go with her at least once a week. 

It's gotten to the point whereas I've developed nicknames for some of the regulars for instance, the "Butterfly Lady".  This is a lovely, sweet older woman who wears everything with what else? You guessed it -  Butterflies.  I love seeing her in her familiar chair.  I always hope she wins but she's so frail and shaky I can't imagine she even sees the numbers being called. I desperately want to help her but I believe this would embarrass her so I simply leave her be. 

There's the mother and daughter "Team", both on oxygen and extremely pleasant.  We chat about their dogs during intermission but when the game starts up again, it's all business.

Last night, my friend and I sat across from the "Woman".  I've always dreaded sitting across from her but when my friend chose these seats I couldn't comment or this lady would have picked up on it.  She's very sharp.  This gal is the type of person who has a comment about everyone and everything.  She's not pleasant either.  I consider her very toxic. 

From the moment we sat down, everyone was within her target range.  "You see that girl?  She thinks she's so good, but her pants are too short.  She must buy them at Goodwill.  And that lady?   She's so old.  I think she's crazy." and so on and so forth.

Why?  Why do people have to be so cruel?  It made me paranoid to get up with my $20 watch and my $5.00 Walmart sweater.  I know the answer.  We all do, don't we?  It made her feel less adequate.  How sad.  When I was growing up, my friend and her mother were like this.  It was almost a game to them.  I remember being appalled by the way they openly mocked other people.  I couldn't wait to remove myself from the situation. 

There is a quote that I try to live by and it goes like this:  The great secret...is not having bad manners or good manners...but having the same manner for all human souls; in short, behaving as if you were in Heaven, where there is no third-class carriages, and one soul is as good as another.  ~George Bernard Shaw