Monday, April 23, 2012

Breezy is starting a new career...

I've discovered something over the weekend, I love telling a good story.  I love sharing something funny or interesting and knowing that I have an audience's full attention.  Now, this doesn't mean I'm going to run out and get a degree.  Hell, no. You see, I know my limits.  I don't have patience for more than twenty minutes of it.  After I'm done talking, I'm done.  I'm totally over it.  Finished.

Eric and I were co-catechists for a First Communion retreat at our Catholic Church on Saturday.  We were given the responsibility of teaching over one hundred 7-8 year olds about the sacrament they'll be making next weekend.  The groups were broken down into segments of over thirty kids and we taught four, 1-1/2 hour classes throughout the day.  Two of theses classes included the children's parents.  We added a lot of humor and had the kids and parents rolling with laughter.  Certainly if I had to sit through an 8-hour retreat, I would have appreciated attending a fun class; however, it was exhausting for Eric and myself.  By the time we went home, we were completely brain dead.

Stand-Up Comedian, George Carlin
So, all of this standing and talking, talking and standing got me thinking.  Most of what I do consists of telling stories.  When I stand up in front of kids or friends, I always make an attempt at humor.  Attempt is the key word here.  I add a lot of drama and of course, my husband, the love of my life, insists I tend to insert a bit of flavor here and there.  Who, me?  Impossible. 

Once catechism is over in a couple of weeks, I'll be immersing myself in amateur stand-up comedy throughout the Denver area.  (Jesus, Mary, and Joseph let the drunken idiots be nice to me, I beg you!  This is a much different crowd than the snot-nosed innocents I teach about Moses partin' the Red Sea during the week.) 

I look at it this way, it's like jumping out of a plane but without a parachute.  I'm already on the ground so if I'm going to fall, I'll just trip over my own stupidity.  Hell, I do that every day and I'm pretty darn good at it too.  Besides, if I'm down, they might miss me with the tomatoes.  Might is the key word here.  I think I look nice in red...