Saturday, February 18, 2012

I'm brash, silly, and non-stop.

I'm always "on".  This is hard to define put I'm going to give it my best shot.  When people meet me for the first time, I find myself having to be the quintessential entertainer, the clown, the queen of comedy.  I'm brash, silly, and non-stop.  I find this completely annoying at times.

I have friends reading this, nodding their heads in quiet affirmation thinking, "Oh my God, yes - Bri was totally out of control when I first met her." 

I can't help it.  When I'm nervous, my demons come out to play.  I'm either completely introverted and want to hide in the back room with the kids, animals, or interesting collections of Hollywood memorabilia or I'm the non-stop-story-telling-brash-ballsy-say-it-like-it-is-shocking-naughty Breezy who wants to make the bad boys blush.  I'm thinkin' it's that Bi-Polar Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde thing I've got working for me.  I can't be too sure.  Whatever it is, it can't be controlled.  Then, if I add a bit of Tequila to the situation, oh dear God in Heaven save me!

Let me give you an example of my demon bad girl.  Last night Eric, my dearest love, my wonderful and most loving husband, had forgotton to tell me that at 6:10pm that we were due at 6:00pm for dinner at his friend's house 15 minutes south of downtown Denver.  We live at least 20 minutes due north of downtown Denver.  Throw in a wee bit of Friday night traffic and the situation was stressful to say the least.  I kept my humor, flossed my teeth while driving, and managed to get us there an hour late.  Did I mention that I took the phone call?  "Bri, where are you guys?"  Huh??  Awkward.

Regardless of the bad start, the evening was lovely; however, I was on a roll.  It was an intimate meal with Eric's co-worker (our friend) and her new boyfriend whom we'd never met before.  "Bri", showing me the lovely salad she made and pointing out the artichoke hearts specifically, "what do these remind you of?"

"Well, what else?  Little itty bitty penises, of course."  Eric almost spit out his water at my response.  "My dear, did you put them in there just for me?  How kind of you.  Always thinking ahead."

This was exactly what Eric's friend expected me to say but I must confess not what Eric thought I would say in front of his friend's date.  It does amaze me that after close to eighteen years together he doesn't expect Mr. Hyde to rear his ballsy head and say the first thing that comes to mind. 

On our long drive home, Eric and I talked about this.  Did I embarrass him?  Were there moments that I should have held back?  Was I too brash?  To my delight he laughed and said he married me because I was this crazy lady.  He wouldn't want me any other way.  He adored my outspokenness.  He loves that I'm the life of parties and that I keep conversations going.

"Even if the situation is totally out of control and people are secretly wishing I would go home and be quiet?"

"Especially then because I'll have you all to myself."

Deep sigh.  How nice it is not having someone looking for my "off" switch.   









No comments: