Friday, February 24, 2012

Bri and Eric. Our smelly sense of humor.

It's intriguing what draws people together; common interests which keep some folks happily involved in their marriages for years.  It could be politics, world events, computer games, science fiction.  For others - like my husband and myself - it could be silly, goofy topics; things which draw us into giggling fits of laughter well into the wee hours of the morning.  Do I dare share our secret with the Internet world?  Do I risk exposing our silliness to the scrutiny of Cyberspace?  Well, why not?  Perfect strangers in Serbia know my bra size and that I suffer from extremely hairy upper thighs.  What the heck, I'll go for it.

When Eric and I first met as kids in high school, I mentioned what a goofball he was.  I believe I've also eluded that I've always been a bit of a clown as well.  In fact, on our first date, on that fateful Sadie Hawkins dance so many years ago, we were asked to get up from the gym floor where we were wearing neckties around our foreheads and attempting to channel our deeper geekiness (Really?  I still squirm at the memory).  Similar souls find one another and ours certainly did - we're soulmates.  Oh my goodness, can two people be any more perfect for one another?  I don't think so. 

My dear friends and blog readers are thinking to themselves, being complete idiots is what Bri and Eric have in common? Well, sure.  That's part of it.  We both come from large, Catholic families.  We have similar tastes in music, sports, and movies.  We both tend to be somewhat liberal and our general philosophy is that everyone deserves a fair share and a chance at life.  We feel that no one person is better than another and that everyone should be treated with respect and kindness   And finally, it all boils down to our awkward senses of humor.  I believe we actually succeeded in channeling that deeper geekiness at the Sadie Hawkins dance.  I wish the chaperon had stopped us a little sooner.

Last night, for three hours, we laid awake laughing until the tears ran down our cheeks at short clips on YouTube.  What were these clips about you wonder?  The same topic that Eric and I used to giggle about when I spent the night on his dorm room floor in college, the one we'd disrupt intense movie theater scenes over, or loudly accuse each other of in grocery stores, or question with shock which of our two small dogs could possibly own something that horrific.  Yes, that's right.  You guessed it.  Our favorite topic, the glue which has kept our marrage filled with glee and our relationship locked with laughter since we were kids.  Yes - that's correct, the topic is...farts. 



No comments: