Wednesday, January 11, 2012

We all know what happens when we assume...

I'm a jack ass.  For those of you who personally know me, half of you are shaking your heads in agreement, the other half are thinking, "Bri?  Yes, she can be a little quirky at times, but she's not that bad..is she?"  Yes, it's true.  I am.

I judge people.  I suppose everyone does, but I'm the queen of judgmental jerks.  I can take one glance at a person and rule out ever going out of my way to say more than three words to them.  It has nothing to do with how many teeth they have or if they're not wearing designer clothes.  Quite frankly, those things draw me closer to people.  It's the look on their face; the steely resolve in the eyes or the downturn of their mouth.  Anger or toughness.  I don't like that countenance.  To me, it's as if the person has intentionally built up a wall which says, "I dare you to be nice" and my quiet response is, "Ok, screw you".

Last night, at church of all places, I was taught a wonderful example of just how deep my -- get ready for this, it's a new Breezyism -- my jackassonyism can go.  Eric and I teach a lovely group of second graders Catholic catechism on Tuesday nights.  (I know, some of you my friends and loyal blogs readers are thinking, "She cusses like a sailor and is the most irreverent woman I've ever had the misfortune to read.  How does she dare teach innocent children about the Lord?"  Easy, I hold my breath and count to ten.  Now who's being judgemental?)  One of the little girl's mothers is a very quiet, stand alone, angry looking young lady who's never approached us after class. I, being quick to assume, didn't like her and felt sorry that my student had such a grouch for a mama.  Nice, Bri.

A lot of our students come from very needy families.  As it turns out, this little girl is one of the neediest.  I actually didn't find out from my student but from her mother.  After class, as the parents picked up their kiddos in the church, this young lady asked me a question about next week.  We ended up talking for close to an hour.  Perhaps she's angry because her home was foreclosed upon in the past and is currently on the verge again with three small children?  Her husband has continuously been laid off and shifted around between states three times in five years?  She stands alone because she's fairly new in town and quiet because she has no one to listen to her chaos and concerns? 

By the time we said good-bye, her little ones were complaining of sore feet, we were laughing in church (I'm certain God will overlook that), and she was apologizing to Eric for keeping me so late.  We hugged long and deep.

I really, really need to stop judging people.  I'm missing out on some amazing hugs. 



No comments: