Sunday, January 29, 2012

Sometimes it's up to other parents to make some adjustments...

Let's go back to a day when life was simpler; when there were no TV's, CDs players, electronic gaming systems, etc.  This would make my mornings so much nicer.  The boys, instead of waking up, walking into the study, and saying, "Mom, at 10:00am, can we start playing Wii?", would say something more pleasant like, "Good morning, I love you."  Hmm..yes, that would be nice. 

I suppose I should be grateful.  Most kids don't ask permission to start playing first thing on a Sunday morning.  Instead, they plop their fannies down, remotes in hand, and immediately begin brain decaying themselves.  William and Austynn know better.  They know that in this house there are time restrictions to the games and TV on weekends.  They also know that if they start playing before 10:00am or before they receive permission, they might as well kiss their privileges good-bye for the day.

I would - though - prefer not to be bombarded with the same question every weekend at 9:45am.  It's gotten to the point that the moment I hear them approach my door with, "Mom...", I answer them with something like, "Not before you clean your rooms, get dressed, and have breakfast", or  "No Wii until all your homework is done and dad checks it".

I wish my boys were outdoor kids.  Even when their game time is up, they prefer to sit and play Lego's, read books, or stare at bugs versus riding bikes and being athletic.  I think all parents, in one form or another, have different hopes for their kiddos.  I grew up in an "outdoorsy", athletic family.  My brothers, sisters, and I were always running around in the yard, on our bikes, playing tag, skating, etc.  Eric's family was the same way.  Both our families were highly involved in team sports; baseball, football, volleyball, and so forth.  My boys can't be bothered with any of this.  It's strange coming from these backgrounds and watching my adopted sons mesmerized for hours staring at crickets in bug barns; however, it still makes me smile. 

We all adjust; mothers, fathers, sons and daughters, but there's some things this mother refuses to adjust to: when my thirteen year old hollers that kids at school get to come home and play their Gameboys or Wii before they do their homework, or that they don't have time restrictions, or that their parents don't care about the rating systems on the games...my response is always the same, "That makes me sad for your school friends."  And when this same autistic son screams that I'm mean because I won't change my mind, that I'm a "bitch" because he can't play on school nights, or that he wants to live with a nicer family because they let their kids play their games whenever they want, my response never wavers, "I'm sorry you feel that way, Austynn.  I love you."

Since we can't go back and undo the creative genius of the gaming inventors, perhaps concerned parents around the globe can unite and help each other out?  How about placing a few more time restrictions on the remote controls and shoving our overweight adolescents off the sofas and into the front yards?  If they're like my chubby teens, ok - so they're not hopping onto the hundred dollar bikes that have been gathering dust since two Christmas' ago - but at least they're getting some fresh air taking them apart and losing my husband's tools in the process. 

No comments: