Monday, January 23, 2012

Molly's Song

Where does the time go?  What a whimsical question.  Anyone over the age of thirty throws this one out practically on a daily basis. 

I heard a song the other day that almost brought me to tears, not in a bad way but in an oh-my-God-what-a wonderful-memory-this-reminds-me-of kind of way.  We all have these songs.  A particular melody that when we hear it, it draws out a series of old 8mm movies in our minds; glimpses back to a time when everything was sweet and special and we wanted to savor the moment forever.

This particular song was by Nellie Furtado, I'm Like a Bird.  My niece and god daughter, Molly, was very young at the time and it seemed to be playing like a soundtrack in her mind.  She had been humming and singing it in her sweet little voice all morning.

Eric, Molly's mom (my older sister), and myself took several nieces and nephews on an early spring morning to the Poppy Reserves in Antelope Valley just outside of Los Angeles.  It had been a wet winter and the wild flowers promised to be amazing.  They didn't let us down.  When we reached the top of the pass and looked into the valley, it was blinding with shades of fluorescent orange dappled with purple and yellow hues.  It was breathtaking.

We spent the cool morning walking the dirt paths with the children running and giggling ahead of us, and listening to that song...now Molly's song.  Movie clip: Eric and I looked ahead of us, our little dark haired niece, with the cool morning wind blowing against her outstretched arms, the bright blue sky above her, the backdrop of the poppies surrounding her, the sweet fragrance of the flowers enveloping us..."I'm like a bird, I'll only fly away..."

That morning, that moment, all was right in the world.



No comments: