Saturday, December 31, 2011

Bri's 2011 List of Trials and Tribulations

Awww, the last day of 2011.  I can't say that I'll miss it.  In all honesty, it wasn't that much of a thriller.  Lately, the years seem to fly by at such velocity that when I look up after dragging the last box of Christmas ornaments away, it's almost time to pull them out again.  I never did get around to putting my winter gear up from last year.  Miraculously the season came around again before I had the chance. 

I think I'm going to attempt a couple of annual blogs, this post being one of them. Tomorrow, if I'm not green around the edges, suffering from sugar shock from my family's traditional New Year's Day breakfast, or a combination of both, I'll post my second of the two.  I'll have to play it by ear.  If you like this one, make a note to check in this same time next year and see what I have to say.  Maybe I should mark my calendar now too.  Geez, if I can only figure out how to use that new electronic scheduler...drat technology!

Trial:  It was determined that our beautiful house that Eric and I purchased in 2006, along with many other houses in our community, were built on "shaky" ground (literally).  The manufacturers came through, dug the foundation out from under us, and placed the whole kit and caboodle on jacks while securing the house to bedrock below.  Where were the Potts' family during this process?  Oh, we lived in the house.  And - let me say - there was nothing quite so unnerving as the hours when the jacks were being removed.  The boys were at school, Eric was at work, and I was in bed, under the covers, cowering.  I remember that, sort of.  Thank goodness for prescription muscle relaxants.

Tribulation:  I've rediscovered an old friend.  Since I was a kiddo I've been a scribbler.  I've kept journals, notebooks, poetry - you name it, I have it.  When I was in school, my aspirations were to become a copy writer for television or radio, perhaps be the voice behind my words.  I went to a broadcasting trade school and interned at CNN Entertainment Studios in Hollywood, California. I even went so far as to obtain an FCC licence.  At the same time, I was going to a small city college and worked as a writer for the campus newspaper.  I've submitted and had commentaries printed in local editorial papers and special editions. 

Somewhere along the road, that dream, that friend, that scribe faded away into the obscurity of office work.  She never finished trade school, dropped her internship, and didn't complete college.  This year, she took a leap of faith and started a blog.  She held her breath and hoped that someone would be interested.  So far, since March, I've had hits from readers from over 26 different countries around the world with my greatest contingency coming from the US, Russia, Malaysia, Germany, Canada, the UK, Denmark, Japan, India, and Singapore.  Thank you, my friends.  Thank you for giving me the courage to continue.

Trial:  Two teenagers with Aspergers.  Need I say more?


TV Mom, June Cleaver from "Leave it to Beaver"
 Tribulation:  I have come to terms with who I am.  I am not perfect.  I don't need to be.  I am not a size 8.  I'll never be.  I am a curvy, sexy lady who knows what turns her on.  I am not June Cleaver.  I love leftover pizza for breakfast and when my boys call me a bitch I say, "And, your point is?".  Despite what most people think, my house is not always clean.  In extreme emergencies, I have been known to blow my nose in the closest thing to me, be it a dirty sock or a crusty, week old tissue.  I'll drink coffee with more cream, sugar, and chocolate in it than actual coffee and then I'll have such terrible shakes that I can't concentrate until I have another cup.  I'll lie only in times of dire need for instance, when trying to solve an issue with the Federal Government or while losing badly at a game of Cribbage.  I'm finally at peace with my addled, bi-polar, silly self. 

Be safe tonight where ever this last eve of 2011 takes you.  I'll be next door, hanging out with some dear friends, and pouting that I can never win at a game of Speed Scrabble.  Perhaps tonight may call for some Rosie Ruiz techniques..??  Ya'll remember that I'm a cheater too, right? 



   

No comments: