Saturday, November 5, 2011

Did you RSVP??

I'm feeling like a good whine this morning.  No!  I didn't say "a good glass of wine".  First of all, it's only 9:50am and secondly, I really don't like wine.  So, there you have it.  No, I'm complaining about an issue which is near and dear to my heart.  RSVPs. The acronym is French:  répondez s'il vous plaît, meaning “reply please” or "please respond".

I have a confession to make.  I hate doing it too.  It's awkward, especially if you can't go, you don't like the people inviting you, or you hate talking on the phone and giving fake excuses; however, it must be done.  Believe me when I say, I'm not Miss Manners.  I have spit my fair share of straw wrappers across 5-star restaurant tables but this is certainly something we should all strive to do.

The reason I bring this up is because as adults, we've hosted parties.  I've watched first hand the disappointment on my son's face when he handed out fifteen invitations to his birthday party and only our closest friends responded bringing their four children.  It could have been worse.  My nephew handed out invitations to his entire third grade class, my brother and sister-in-law hired out a bounce house, a clown, the works, and not one child came.  How devastating. 

When did this awful breach of etiquette become so prolific?  I realize that our lives are crazy busy; soccer games, piano recitals, family get-togethers, etc., all play a huge role in our lives. We're exhausted.  I also understand there are times when we wait until the last moment and think, "maybe something more interesting will come up".  For instance, "I like these people, I want something to do on Saturday night, but I don't want to commit in case so and so decides they want to go out to dinner."  Sorry.  This sucks!  Be a human being, commit to something, and go.

So, as I'm writing this, it sounds like I'm wagging my finger and clicking my tongue at you, my dear friends and blog readers.  Not necessarily.  I tend to get on a soap box and wag and click to whomever has the unfortunate luck to read my rambling complaint of the day.  If this rant applies to you, change your evil ways!!  I'm thinking the paragraph about my nephew may have touched a few guilty notes in some thought processes.  If not, then step up on this soap box and start clicking your tongues and wagging your fingers to deadbeat friends who don't RSVP.  And, if they don't comprehend the message, stop inviting the fools.  Maybe if their kids don't receive birthday invites (harsh, I know) or they hear rollicking parties in the neighborhood, they'll put two and two together and wonder what the heck happened. 

"Sorry, Charlie.  Répondez s'il vous plaît?  Look it up." 


    





No comments: