Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Bring on a Coke Slurpee and a bowl of popcorn...

Sometimes I find myself mindlessly flipping through TV channels to see what's happening out there on the boob tube.  I don't do this often because Eric is normally sitting beside me and I feel a bit of pressure to find a show that we both like and can commit to.  But when I'm alone and have the TV remote to myself, this is my guilty pleasure - channel flipping.

I don't watch a lot of TV.  There aren't too many shows which capture my attention which is why, I suppose, I'm an excellent channel flipper.  I love sports - Football and Baseball in particular.  Classic movies are a definite must see.  Other than that, not too much excites me.  To be honest, more disgusts this blogger than anything else.

I can't stand reality shows for instance, MTV stuff or the Celebrity Rehab with Dr. Drew business.  They play off of people's sadness and insecurities.  The talent shows,  Dancing with the Stars or American Idol, they're getting too commercialized and boring.  The stuff that really drives me crazy are the shows with excess.  For instance, Real Housewives of Orange County.  Oh my gosh, I can go on forever about this crap.  I lived once in Orange County, California and no doubt these awful women exist.  I've walked the same malls and was made to feel small and insignificant.

America is an amazing country but it's becoming more and more a country of haves and have nots.  I don't envy those who've earned their wealth.  What I do disagree with is their haughtiness and the way in which the media has come to exploit it.  Having money shouldn't be a status symbol.  It should be a thing of responsibility.  If you have it, congratulations but please don't flaunt it.  Instead, use it to help others when you can and certainly never, ever act superior.  We are all made the same.  Money will not make you look any less dead than the less fortunate guy buried next to you.

I also can't stand watching shows which compete for the title of the world's largest cake, or brownie, or pizza, etc.  Why?  For what purpose?  How many people could the flour, eggs, or sugar better have served?  Food eating contests.  Again, why?  Why do I need to watch a guy shove down 62 hot dogs in ten minutes?  How many hungry American kids would have loved at least couple of those?

In my perfect, happy channel flipping world the Anaheim Angels would be winning the 7th game of the World Series over the Los Angeles Dodgers (the ULTIMATE freeway series), there would be a marathon to raise money for homeless American kids, there would be no reality shows, Tim Tebow would be throwing a perfect football game for the Denver Broncos, and there would be a Bette Davis movie on Turner Classic Movies.  Aw, now this would be my ultimate in television entertainment.  All I'd need is a Coke Slurpee and a bowl of popcorn.  Guilty pleasure on a Sunday afternoon...

No comments: