Friday, October 14, 2011

I hate money, but if I had it...

I hate money.  I hate thinking about it.  I hate worrying about it.  I hate that when I wake up in the morning it's my first concern of the day. 

I suppose if I had money, I'd like it. I could go to the mattress store and buy that king size bed that Eric and I have been pining away for. The one that would give us and the dogs enough room to have our first good night sleep in...hmmm...how long have the dogs been with us?  2 1/2 years.  Lovely.  No.  No matter how big the mattress size, the puppies would still manage to find a way to cuddle in between our legs, against our backs, and on top of our heads.  Eric and I must face reality and assume we'll never have a good night's sleep again.

We could take the family vacation we've wanted to take.  Drive the boys down south and visit Texas.  There's the Alamo, San Antonio and Galveston...so much to see and do in the great Lone Star State.  Oh, wait a minute.  Texas.  That's right.  Eric has an odd aversion to Texas.  I believe I've blogged about it before.  It was a mystery at the time but just recently he discovered why he dislikes it so much.  Football.  It has everything to do with Football.  I know - odd, weird, strangely pathetic - but if you knew my man, you would kind of understand it.  He would prevent his family from a lovely, educational, and adventurous driving trip because of his intense dislike of the Dallas Cowboys and their 1970's era domination with Roger Staubach.  I married the man.  I must be patient.

If I had money I'd go to the mall and shop for fancy clothes, get all decked out, and dine at a 5-star restaurant with my love.  It's been so long since we've last had a quiet, romantic evening alone.  No.  Now that I think about it, who am I fooling?  I have always been a sweatshirt, blue jeans, and sneakers kind of a gal.  I hate fussy restaurants.  In fact, if I'm stuck in one, my tendency is to shoot spit balls across the table at Eric and completely misbehave.  I believe I have maybe 4-5 skirts in my closet and out of those, I just gave three of them away.  My idea of a date with my husband is walking along a beach but since we've moved to Colorado, I'll take making out at a drive-in movie any day. 

Money.  I just want just enough to pay the bills, buy some some milk, and help a friend in need.  I believe that the more you have, the more you want.  So, let the billionaires pay their fair share (and maybe a little more) in taxes and perhaps the rest of us should just appreciate what we have.  In the meantime, I'm going to tell the boys to stop guzzling down three glasses of milk with their dinner.  After all, there are a lot of kids out in the world who would be grateful for just one.
 



No comments: