Monday, July 11, 2011

They Have Me Pegged! Now Where's The Ice Cream?

I'm ashamed to say that I'm an out of control shopper when I'm hungry.  They've got me.  The grocery stores and bulk stores have me completely pegged.

Just this evening, as my family and I stopped into the grocery store to pick up some mid-week supplies, I was attacked by a bout of hunger.  It came upon me suddenly and without warning.  I HATE THAT!  It has to be a serious situation when even the free cookies in the bakery look tempting.

B18 BOLO
Eric, Austynn, and I had been out on a field trip this afternoon at Denver's, The Wings Over the Rockies Air and Space Museum while William chose to hang out at a friend's house.  I had not planned for dinner and had been driving and staring at military machinery all afternoon.  There is nothing more exhausting than listening to an almost thirteen year old aspergian child talk non-stop about everything he thinks he knows about artillery and thermo nuclear war for five hours.  How did this happen, I'm a pacifist??

Drumstick Ice Cream Cone
By the time I hit the frozen food section, I was completely out of control.  Normally it's the extremely unhealthy White Castle microwaveable cheeseburgers and restaurant brand appetizers which I pull off the shelves in lightening speed.  No, not tonight.  It was the ice cream.  I was captivated.  I don't even like ice cream and yet, I could not stop myself.  Every brand had promise.  The new bars that are dipped not once, but twice and with a layer of caramel in between...ooh...I must try those.  Reese's Peanut Butter Cup Ice Cream Bars?  When did they come out with those?  Must have some of those too!  Double dipped Drumsticks?  Impossible!  Eric would love those.  We'll have to get some plain vanilla ice cream as well because we have plenty of root beer for some floats and hot fudge and caramel toppings left over as well.  We'll have to make sundaes later this week.  Should I buy more whipped cream?  Good Grief! 

The wholesale stores?!  Don't even get me started.  Thank goodness we didn't stop by Costco tonight with all of the free sample stands they set up on the end of each aisle.  When I'm hungry, like I am tonight, they can sell me anything.  Once I bought a 5000 pack box of Otter Pops for Eric.  That was four years ago.  We still have 3/4 of that box down in our basement. 

I'm sure this is how the conversation probably would have gone tonight had I gone to Costco:

Costco Manager:  Hurry, here comes Bri Potts...set up the table and start cooking the instant apple oatmeal.  She'll be sure to buy the 1000 pack box if she's hungry.

Bri:  Hey, that tastes good.  Only a 1000 packs?  That's not too bad.  Where are they located?

D'oh..Damnit!  They have me pegged!  Now where's my ice cream?






No comments: