Monday, July 4, 2011

Lady Liberty Take a Bow

Today we honor all things red, white and blue.  The men and women who risk and risked their lives for us today, yesterday, 60 years ago, and some 235 years ago.  In Korea, Vietnam, the dark forests of Poland, in Tennessee valleys, and in a Pennsylvania hall before a document which could translate into certain death or a new found freedom.

Freedom has never come easy.  It is not to be taken for granted.  As an American, I cherish my right to question the very fundamentals of this freedom.  I question my government because the government is of the people, by the people, and for the people.  I will never complain unless I use my power to vote. 

This country is based on the principal that all men are created equal.  We are a melting pot and I truly feel that this is what our founding fathers, namely Thomas Jefferson, envisioned when he penned the Declaration of Independence.  A community of different cultures, religions, ethnicities, and sexual orientations living side by side and sharing a common theme.  There is no room here for petty prejudices and bigotry.  Unfortunately, there will always be a select few who need to blame others for their own misfortunes or find a way to interpret God's words to discriminate. 

I believe more often than not, when someone needs help, regardless of the color of their skin or their dialect, we open our doors, offer a warm meal, and shelter them for an evening.  We do this because we are a fundamentally good people.   We need to question each other, fight for each other, stand up for each other, and yes - welcome each other into our homes because we're family.  We're Americans.  That's what we do.  Happy 4th of July


No comments: