Monday, July 25, 2011

I'm already cranky, so why did they have to make it pink?

Can my arms get any more swollen or itchy?  Why won't the bug zapper just do its job and zap those damn mosquitoes?  Why does my backyard seem to entertain the entire Colorado population of these flying blood suckers?  Why didn't I replace the anti-itch cream in my medicine cabinet last year which expired in July of 2004 when I was asking these same questions?  Will this disgusting stuff still work?  And finally, why did the manufacturers make it pink?

There are too many questions to be answered in a single setting; however, I will just add the following:

This is not the first time I have blogged about mosquitoes this season.  They are vicious, nasty little bastards which are out to make me miserable.  Scratch that - they have succeeded, I am miserable.  Every night, I whine and moan and curse these summer insects until I fall asleep.  I find myself blaming Eric and his beautifully watered backyard, Autynn's pool, our next door neighbor's need to dump their water pots next to our fence, and the monsoonal weather in Thailand.  Everyone and everything is to blame.

So, I'm cranky.  I don't sleep well in the summer.  I toss and turn.  Scratch and rub.  I worry about the crusty, pink, expired lotion on my arms and feet and wonder if it will stain my 300 count bed linen.  I deal with the sticky smell of mosquito spray and taste it in my mouth because inevitably it gets on my hands or face when I spray it.  And I listen.  I listen for that high pitched awful whine of my nightly nemesis - that itty, bitty blood sucking bug which will impose a bite on me that will keep me up again tomorrow night, and the night after, and the night after that.  And so I lie awake in terror and consider one question in particular in my crusty crankiness...why did the manufacturers have to make it pink? 

No comments: