Saturday, July 2, 2011

Happy Birthday, My Love. Let's Go Back To Bed.

Mr. Potts is turning 45 years old today.  This is the young guy whom I met when he was just a junior in high school with over sized glasses, braces, and a personality that melted my heart...

I've known Eric, my husband, for most all of my life and there hasn't been a day when we've been together or spoken over the phone that he hasn't made me laugh out loud. 

When I was young, my Mother used to tell me, "Try to marry someone just like your Father."  Eric is this man but he was (is) also one of my dearest friends.  I was completely unaware of the parallel. When we were in our teens, there were times Eric would walk into a party where kids were passing out drunk on top of one another (myself included) and I'd be annoyed because just his presence would bring out the guilt in me.  You see, Eric wasn't a big partier.  He was a good kid.  One annoyed look from him and the party was over for me.  It was if my Dad walked into the room and gave me one of his looks.  Damn, that pissed me off!  

He was my friend, my confidant, my big brother and yet - so much more.  I was drawn to him.  If I drove up to a house for a get-together and his car was parked in front, my heart skipped a beat.  I was completely oblivious that I was in love with him and had been so from the moment we met.

After my previous marriage and Eric had survived a non-malignant brain tumor, surgery and radiation - we finally figured out what a couple of complete idiots we'd been.  We didn't need to spend one more day making each other laugh over the telephone.  We could hold on to one another and do it side by side for the rest of our lives.  We were meant to be to together.  If there is such a thing as "soulmates", Eric and I define it.

So today, as I watch him pay the bills, discipline the boys, work in his yard, and just be the adult man that he's become - I'll watch for that 17 year old kiddo with over sized glasses, braces, and a personality that melted my heart because he's still there too.  And when he looks up and gives me that goofy, dimpled grin and sticks out his tongue at me, I'll fall in love with him all over again.   

Happy Birthday, My Love.  Let's go back to bed.


No comments: