Saturday, June 4, 2011

I'm A Crazy Lady In Handicap Carts

Yesterday I pulled out a corner display aisle at Target and in the process, ran over my son's foot with one of those mechanical handicap carts reserved for those in need.  Currently, I am one of those in need.  If you remember from an earlier blog, I've been diagnosed with tendinitis in my right foot and have been assigned to a big klutzy boot for the first half of the summer.  When I have to be on my foot shopping all day, I try to retain one of these carts so that by the evening I'm not crying out in pain and begging my poor husband to have mercy and rub it for an hour, or two, or three. 

Anyway, yes - I rolled over Austy's foot.  It was quite the scene.  I had turned a corner and hit the display a little too tightly and started pulling it away from the rest of the row.  When I started to back up and tried to discreetly remove myself from the situation, of course with the reverse horns blaring and drawing as much attention to my predicament as possible, Austynn, who was standing directly behind me screaming over the horns to inform me of my dilemma, found his foot directly under my cart.

Quandary...move forward and take down an entire aisle of Target pool toys or continue to backup and pretend my son's foot wasn't inconveniently located under my handicap cart.  Decision...Beep, beep, beep went the reverse sirens until my 142 pound 12 year old reached over me, yelling (rather annoyed might I add), turned off my cart, and picked it and me up (it's amazing what a little adrenaline can do) to remove his size 7 sneaker from under the tire.  Well then, no need to get so testy about it! 

This is not the first time I've crashed into things with those 3mph electrical carts either.  When the local Walmart store sees me hobbling in, I believe they actually pull out the slower cart (if that's possible) with the orange alert flag for the safety of their other customers.  It's not that I'm a bad driver, I just have a lot on my mind.  First of all, when these embarrassing crashes happen, Austynn is normally right by my side.  This should be explanation enough.  Secondly, Walmart or Target is usually the first stop of many on my big errand day.  My mind is whirling with thoughts of picking up the dry cleaning, putting gas in my car, getting to the bank all while listening to my 15 year old asking to go to a video game store (like I really want to add another hour and a 12th stop to my list of things to do) and my 12 year old is telling me how miserable and hungry he is even though this was only our 2nd stop and we ate breakfast less than two hours ago.  Lovely.

Perhaps I subconsciously ran over Austynn's foot?  Maybe next time it could be William's foot?  How about they take turns?

2 comments:

LadyDreamer said...

If you run over their feet a lot, then they'll have to use the little carts too! Can you imagine that scene! Awesomeness.;) Rest your foot and have fun this summer.

Brenda said...

I'd have chosen Joshua's foot over knocking the display down. And he would not have picked me and the cart up. He would have screamed like a monkey on fire and drawn the entire store to my side.