Friday, May 6, 2011

There are Two Limping Potts' People This AM

When do fifteen year olds become so adept at shooting arrows and when, might I add, did they learn about your Achilles' Heel?

Oh, he was good last night.  Every arrow stung.  He was right on target.  I do recall once taking Love and Logic classes.  I also remember somewhere, in some remote parental handbook, reading about walking away and not engaging in nasty one-on-one, tit-for-tat arguments with an escalating teenager.  No, not me.  I, in my constant non-adult behavior, engaged in the battle by pulling out the bloody arrows and shooting them right back.  Again, not one of my better moments as a parent.  William had already chased Eric out of the house for some fresh air and contemplation so I had no one to remind me that I was being an idiot; however, William helped out with that.

He reminded me that I didn't finish college.  I couldn't comprehend the math that he was working on as a freshman in high school.  I was nothing more than a lazy housewife and that no one would hire me based on the skills I didn't have.  I was a financial drain on the family.  Oh, he was something alright.  Every single sentence which came out of his mouth was one that I've heard before but not outloud and certainly not by someone other than myself.  Ouch.

The things I threw back at him were equally as bad.  The difference is that I'm his mother.  I'm suppose to build him up, not tear him down.  He struggles with his self-confidence already.  I didn't help him last night by being brutally honest.  It was an ugly, ugly night. 

We put our arms around each other this morning and apologized but I still wonder how much damage was done.  I'll survive, but will he?  Is he strong enough to lick his wounds and recover?  I was an ass-hole last night.  There's simply no way around it.   

5 comments:

Eric said...

Every once in a while a child needs a slap in the face (not literally) to wake up and smell the coffee. William has to realize that if he dishes it out, he better be prepared to take it. You should not worry about what you did. William is getting older and has to face reality's rewards and consequences. You should not feel guilty in any way. Sometimes crossing the line helps William find it again.

I love you! Happy Mother's Day?

Bri Potts said...

Ha, I know. A kiddo suspended, a screaming fight, and Banshee is a knockin'. What a way to start Mother's Day weekend! Perhaps mom should hide out in her bedroom with some Fritos and M&M's?

LadyDreamer said...

No hiding! Get out there loud and proud and have some FUN. Teenagers are annoying jerks and as Eric said they all need a dopeslap every now and then. Don't feel bad for giving one that was deserved. Sit in the sun, drink coffee and do something for you.

Pat said...

We all have those moments. I recently confronted a boy tearing up over the fact that we were out of spaghetti with a verbal tirade and a quick exit from the house.

Brenda said...

My sweet Breezy, lighten up on yourself girlfriend. You are harder on yourself than any teen is on you. You do the best you can with what you've got. You do a lot better than most. Don't knock yourself down. I love you and think you are beautiful with your proud adult moments and also with those other moments we ALL trip into. xoxo