Sunday, May 8, 2011

I Could Have Been A Boring Piece of Melba Toast



While driving to chapel this morning, it occurred to me that my blogs about my mother and my motherhood experiences as of late have been, well...slightly negative.

Today, in honor of Mother's Day, I will make an attempt to be more uplifting. My mother, God bless her, is absolutely wonderful. I have inherited her quirky personality so, along with my father's somewhat dry sense of humor, I owe her my ever resonating laughter at all things bizarre and slightly odd. Thank you, mom because without your genes, I could have ended up a very boring piece of Melba Toast.

When I share stories to my sons about their "Nana M", Austynn and William are always in shock and awe.  "Did Nana really drive all the way home with the gas hose hanging out from her gas tank?" or  "Please tell us again about the time Nana dressed up as a Gorilla and went Trick or Treating with you." or  "What about the time Nana M was pulled over with dirty underwear hanging off her front bumper?"  There are never shortages of funny stories when it comes to my mother.  One of her true gifts is that she's always ready to laugh right along side of us when these treasures re-told.  The laughter is priceless.  Her giggling is completely contagious.  Once she starts, my sisters and I are hooked.  The cackling Bryant women have been known to infect entire rooms of strangers.

My mother is also extremely generous.  She never forgets a birthday, an anniversary, or a graduation.  If she can't be there in person, you can be certain that there will always be a card, a phone call, or a gift in the mail.  She tries to be all things for all people and perhaps this is a shortcoming.  She's a "pleaser".  I believe this is another lesson I've learned from her.  Now it's her turn to sit back and take a lesson or two from me.  Take care of yourself mom.  Treat yourself.  Relax.  Breathe.  You can't be there for everyone because you're going to get a whole lot crazier if you do.  Trust me, I know.  

Today, I will take a nap because I was up late last night and got up extremely early.  After I get up, I am going to sit and cuddle my 164 pound "little" boy for a very long time or until he tells me to let go.  Then, I'm going challenge my smack talkin', obnoxious 15 year old, vampire to a game of RISK.  I may consider making some tactical errors in his favor for a change ("may" is the operative word here).  I'm going to spend the entire day not taking a moment for granted that God has given me an amazing husband and friend to help through the recent rough patches.  And finally, I'm going to call my mom and tell her how much I love her and apologize profusely for my awful behavior when I was 12 and 15 years old.


No comments: