Tuesday, May 3, 2011

The Big Whopper and a Little Bar of Soap

Remember that old discipline of washing a kid's mouth out with soap?  I swore I would never use it.  I considered it a vile lesson never to be applied.  Yesterday afternoon I changed my mind and Austynn learned first hand the flavor of Dove soap. 

If you've been following my blogs, you know that my boys are a bit of a handful to say the least.  They're both adopted biological brothers, have behavioral problems, as well as been diagnosed with Asperger's syndrome, a form of Autism  I love my kids but if I haven't earned a spot in Heaven yet, I'll have to contest the Powers that be.  Perhaps after yesterday, it may take me a little longer to get there.

The past few weeks have not been good for Austynn at school.  Basically, he's ready for summer vacation.  Everyday I learn he's been threatening other students with unusual items he finds or sneaks from home (last Friday he was very intimidating with my eyebrow tweezers).  He'll refuse to follow instructions, be disrespectful to his teachers or assistants, and or throw impressive temper tantrums in the special needs classroom.  It's just been a barrel of monkeys lately. 

Yesterday, he was particularly surly when I picked him up because he knew that there would be consequences for his behavior at school.  Once he was in the car, he began kicking the seats, using a disrespectful tone, and yelling.  I threatened to have him walk home.  He dared me.  Not a wise dare.  Out he went and, might I add, he hates exercise of any kind.  I had hoped he would be too exhausted to continue the battle when he reached the front door.  Not so.  He used the "Big Whopper" on me.  The all time, absolute king of bad words, "Mother F".  Now, I've put up with a lot of their foul language over the years.  I simply ignore them and walk away.  My boys have had enough awfulness in their lives.  I simply wait until they're ready to apologize and then they know they're going to have a consequence for their unwise choices.  But the "Big Whopper"?  No way, instant consequence.  I was not going to accept that.  Bathroom and soap.

Austynn was in shock.   I knew this because after he had said it and smirked, he looked as if it were all over.  When I placed that bar of soap in his mouth, he couldn't believe I'd actually do this.  It wasn't a long taste, just a couple of seconds, but long enough to know I meant business.  Afterwards, while he was spitting at me, I told him that no one will ever be called that again in this house.  Oh, the screaming and crying!  (At this time, I would like to thank my neighbors for not calling the authorities).

After ten minutes, there was silence.  Knowing my kiddo so well, I waited for the next surprising moment.

"Mom?"

"Yes, Austynn?"

"I'm sorry.  That was a dirty word and you needed soap for it."

"Yes, you're right.  I don't want to ever hear you say that again."

Long pause. 

"Mom?"

"Yes, Austynn?"

"Can I have a dollar tomorrow for Pajama Day?"

Deep Sigh.  Seriously? 



1 comment:

Brenda said...

Another mom is welcomed into the soap club. Love the ending conversation.