Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Uh Oh! Somebody Got in Trouble!

Haha!!  Caught the little bastards!  I know, I know.  Not the best use of a grown-up's time - stalking fifth graders and following them home to tell on them...BUT THEY STARTED IT!

Ok.  Deep breath.  Relax.  Find my zen.  Go back to the beginning and explain all...

In one of my earlier blogs, A Village and the Neighborhood Crazy Lady, I wrote about a group of 5th graders whom I had caught throwing rocks in my neighborhood and when asked to stop, they showed me their evil, demon mob mentality.

After that incident, I had a sneaky suspicion that I had not seen or heard the last of this group.  All had been quiet on the western front until yesterday, when while minding my own business and yes, playing once again, Cooking Academy 2 World Cuisine on my lap top, one of the piss ants played ding dong ditch at my front door.  How, do you ask, do I know it was this same gang of devils?  I happened to be sitting at my dining room table facing the front door which conveniently has a series as window panes.  Haha!!

Believe it or not, I was going to ignore it.  This was not a big deal and it was kind of funny listening to them think they got away with something awful.  But then I starting contemplating how they happened to know where I lived.  My neighborhood is very large.  The rock throwing incident happened several blocks away.  And then it occurred to me - they weren't harassing the crazy lady.  They didn't know where I lived.  They where harassing the weird boy who lives upstairs.  My son, Austynn.

The other day, when Austynn had been suspended from school and was upstairs in his room, these kids were walking past our house and were messing around with something in our driveway.  Austynn's window faces the front of the house and instead of getting me, he took it upon himself to tell the kids to stop whatever they were doing.  But you see, Austynn has Asperger's Syndrome, a form of social autism whereas he has a very difficult time addressing people appropriately.  So instead of opening his window and saying, "Hi, what are you guys doing?", he yelled "You guys are idiots" or something to that effect but in very colorful language.  From my vantage point, I heard kids laughing and throwing rocks at his window (which immediately stopped once I opened the front door), running feet, and Austynn's 4-letter words flying out the window.   

This was not acceptable.  I know that someplace in the parental handbook under the "Bad" section, it says YOU SHALL NOT FIGHT YOUR CHILD'S FIGHT.  Bull Pucky.  This lioness refuses to let these bullies go after her cub.  So after these brats rang my door-bell and turned the corner, I got into my car, went around the block, and waited for them to disperse.  I specifically stalked the "ring" leader (pardon the pun) and followed him home.  I pulled up to his house, he looked at me and said, "what?", and slammed the door in my face.  Nice.

Thank goodness his Dad was home.  Nice guy, Larry.  He came out.  We talked for about ten minutes.  I explained to him about Austynn.  How he interacts with kids and how I understand how other children would perceive him; however, Austy needs some empathy.  Until kids understand what his issues are, they won't know how to sympathize.  He apologized and said he was going to have a serious talk with his kiddo and the parents of the other children.  Deep sigh of relief.  There's always a possibility these conversations can backfire.  Larry was a big, burly dude with a CU sweatshirt and doormat.  I almost wanted to run when his two German Shepard's with choke chains had to be held back at the door. 

I also told Larry about the rock throwing incident in the street.  Ooooh was he mad.  He hates rocks on sidewalks much less on the street.  When he found out that it was his son and his friends making the mess....BUSTED!

Oh, the feeling of redemption!  I know, as a 44year old I should be above it all.  What I should really be grateful about is that perhaps, last night, six children hopefully learned the meaning of compassion and that I had some part in that.  Also, I would be lying if I didn't have some sort of satisfaction.  Next time I see those little shits I'm going to give them the "whatever wave" and keep on driving.

2 comments:

Leigh Ann said...

Yahoo! Score one for the moms who care! Way to go, Bri! If I were there, I woulda gone w/you...can you just see us hunching down in your car trying to be sly and stealthy? I am giggling just thinking about it.

Bri Potts said...

Yes, Leigh Ann...I totally could!!! Some things never change! LOL